Fundraising/ Promotion/ Membership
The club has a Weekly Sausage Sizzle at Hamilton Street which is an excellent and quiet achiever for the club.
It usually has at least one Bunnings Sausage Sizzle annually.
Antiques & Collectables Fair
Held at Mont Albert Primary School in May each year, the club will be hosting this event again in 2018. The Fair has around 30+ stalls of amazing vintage and antiques which are available to purchase. The Fair also has Valuations on the Saturday.
Christmas Mince Pies
Yes, they are happening again, with the beautiful Bread Street Mince Pies sold by the club as a primary fundraiser. They are perfect for your own indulgence, or for gifts for family, friends or colleagues, employees and clients. $15 per dozen to purchase.
The club undertakes other ad hoc fundraising activities as the opportunities arise.
Social/ Vocational Visits
The social committee is responsible for developing, promoting and coordinating social activities for members in order to help build stronger relationships within the club. It also assists with club service events that are designed to aid the broader community while also fostering fun and fellowship among Rotarians. Examples of our social activities are weekly dinners at the Box Hill RSL following our meetings, dinner at Rusty Waters restaurant on Phillip Island, summer BBQ down at Ventnor, birthday celebration dinner at Dunyazad Restaurant, dinner at the Blackburn Hotel, dinner after our visit and tour of the Donations in Kind warehouse. Also members enjoyed participating in social occasions with the Beaufort Rotary Club.
In the Vocational sphere MASH undertakes vocational visits from time to time. This year members visited the Taralye facility for children with impaired hearing in Blackburn and the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute for medical research in Parkville and Donations in Kind in Footscray.
Rotary Youth Leadership Award (RYLA) Under this program we endeavour to have our nominee selected by District each year for this 6 day camp for 18 to 30 year olds. The camp builds self-esteem and confidence for the participants.
Rotary Youth Program of Enrichment (RYPEN) Our nominees for this 3 day seminar learn to form their own values and moral standards.
Model United Nations Assembly. This program provides an opportunity for secondary school students to act as representatives of various countries debating motions in the Victorian Legislative Assembly chamber.
Interact. Students in years 9 to 12 belong to a club which fosters leadership skills, meets regularly and undertakes fundraising for one local and one international project each year. Our club is based at Koonung Secondary College.
Rotaract. Young people between 18 and 30 enjoy community service and international service as well as gaining professional development. Whitehorse Rotaract was sponsored by our club.
In the international sphere we look for potential international and Australian projects which could be financed and managed through Rotary Australia World Community Service (RAWCS), Rotary Australia Benevolent Society (RABS) or The Rotary Foundation (TRF). The projects can vary from providing financial aid in the form of cash or goods to sending volunteer teams to undertake a wide variety of construction projects. Projects can be undertaken solely by MASH or in cooperation with other Rotary Clubs.
International project activity by MASH over the past ten years has included –
Our Community Engagement team has a goal to be at the heart of our community’s wellbeing. We have a number of ongoing as well as one off projects.
– First Friday of the Month Dinner – a nourishing 2 course meal is provided for up to 50 clients each month being those in need in a warm and friendly place.
– Inala Allawarra Hostel in Blackburn South – prior to Christmas and Easter we join the residents for morning tea and provide entertainment. The choir from St Luke’s Primary School sing carols at Christmas. They bring a smile to the faces of the residents. A Christmas Card writing project started in 2013 to enable residents the opportunity to send cards which include a photo of them to family and friends. Some children from Mt Pleasant Road Primary School participate in this project.
– Alkira Centre in Box Hill – we have supported Alkira in various ways and include helping with working bees and providing financial assistance for various projects. In conjunction with the local Bendigo Community Bank (Surrey Hills, Canterbury, Ashburton & Balwyn) a new bus was supplied to the centre.
Christmas Wishing Tree – Ross Hunt kindly donates real Christmas Trees which are used as collection points at Breadstreet Bakery Mont Albert, and Ross Hunt Real Estate Surrey Hills, with members of the local community donating new toys/gifts for children of all ages and adults in need at Christmas.
Our major environmental projects over the past year have been:
– Clean up Australia Day where members have joined in with the community effort to clean the Kingsley Gardens in Box Hill.
– Tree Planting Project – green thumbed MASH members (together with members of Doncaster and Waverley Rotary Clubs, Interactors from Ashwood Secondary College & Whitehorse Rotaractors) are issued with seeds, soil, fertilizer & pots in January/February. In August/September the now bountiful crop of native trees is planted by the members on properties in the Beaufort area selected by our sister club in Beaufort. The planting is followed by a BBQ.